A Tribute to Paul Schroeder, Popular Colleague, Teacher and Politics of China Specialist

Popular political science department member passes away at 75

The university community mourns the loss of faculty emeritus Paul Schroeder who passed away on July 20, 2024, after a short illness. 

Professor Schroeder spent 16 years in the Department of Political Science. A popular colleague and teacher and a politics of China specialist, he taught the introduction to international politics as well as a cluster of seminars on Asia and the Global South, most of which he had created himself. In the fall of 2022, he graciously came out of retirement to cover some of his former courses.

“That’s the kind of dedicated educator Paul was – completely devoted to his students,” commented Professor Elliot Posner, Chair of the Department of Political Science.  “We were having trouble finding an Asia politics expert to cover his courses. He stepped back in because he couldn’t stand the idea that a cohort of CWRU undergraduates might not have the chance to learn about China politics.” 

Jason Cheung (CWR ‘16) remembered how Schroeder made an impact on him as a student that still resonates with him to this day.

“As a student from Hong Kong amid the political turmoil in my hometown, he served as my academic and personal mentor, guiding me to view my home country critically,” Cheung said. “Taking his class helped me develop my critical thinking and shaped my academic career. [He] will forever be missed.”

Schroeder’s life was equally impactful outside of his academic career. He and his wife, Rosemary Palmer, gained a national reputation for their Families of the Fallen for Change, an anti-Iraq war peaceful protest group that they created to honor their son, who was killed in Iraq in 2005. As part of that, he worked with senior members of Congress to develop policy alternatives. 

Schroeder earned his PhD in 1987 from the Ohio State University in the politics of China. Prior to his academic career, he was a journalist covering police, city, county and state government for several Ohio newspapers. Schroeder also served on the staff of the National Committee on US—China Relations in New York, managing programs in law and economics.

An avid gardener, Schroeder is survived by his wife of 50 years, Rosemary, two sisters, son-in-law, David (Nicole Cornett) Borger, and four grandsons, Nicholas, Paul and Nathan Borger and Tyler Cefalo. He was preceded in death by his son Augie and daughter Amanda. He will be remembered for his educational stamina, personal courage, warmth and wisdom. Case Western Reserve University is much diminished with his passing.

Student Memories of Paul Schroeder

Sophia Yakumithis:

I was a student of Professor Schroeder’s from 2017-18. It was my freshman year at CWRU. I went in with zero idea as to what I wanted to major in. I enrolled in an international relations intro course during my first semester. Professor Schroeder happened to be the instructor. 

From the very first session, my seatbelt was securely fastened. He had a larger than life presence which commanded respect. 

What I learned very quickly was that his depth of knowledge on global issues – coupled with how uniquely his worldview had been shaped by decades of international business experience – are what fueled that command. These qualities turned otherwise banal, jargon-filled scholarly material into the most interesting lessons in my course load. In addition, the classroom environment he created was safe and nonjudgmental. He took a candid approach to discussing sensitive topics, citing professional and personal experience for molding his perspective. This helped us students engage in more intimate, meaningful conversations, as we felt comfortable to do so. Needless to say, he set an extremely high bar for my professors’ pedagogical skills moving forward. 

The positive experience I had with Professor Schroeder led me to enroll in two more of his courses the next semester. I wasn’t particularly drawn to the subjects themselves, but he was such an exceptional professor that it almost didn’t matter; he could’ve read a grocery list every day and would still have held my undivided attention. I’d also latched onto him for career guidance, and wanted direct access to his insights. 

Back-to-back meetings in the same room afforded us with ample time to get to know one another. Naturally, we grew close in those months. We vented with each other. We talked about gardening. He even confided that was undergoing cancer treatment, but didn’t disclose it to the wider class until later. In fact, his ability to conceal his personal battle completely blew my mind. I left every single session thinking, How is he going through something so grueling but still has more energy than a group of 18-year-olds?! 

His strength and resilience became a source of motivation for me, and I increasingly sought his opinion on personal matters. 

When I look back on my time at CWRU, crossing paths with Professor Schroeder is one of the several invaluable byproducts. He went above and beyond in his role as an educator by making himself available as both a mentor and as a friend for students who sought it out. The impact he had on my life was equally great, if not more, as that on my education.