The grants competition is open to undergraduate students who are Political Science majors at the time of application, have completed at least two semesters of coursework at CWRU, have a minimum 3.0 GPA in Political Science courses at CWRU, and will not graduate earlier than the December after the internship period.
Candidates must submit a hard copy of their application to Professor Karen Beckwith by Friday, February 8, 2019 by 5:00 pm. The application consists of the following:
- Application including a list of public service internships to which candidates have applied or intend to apply
- A personal statement
- A résumé
- A letter of reference from a CWRU faculty member (See Guidelines for Reference Writers.)
Grant recipients and alternate candidates will be notified no later than April 19, 2019. After notification, grantees will have until May 24, 2019 to confirm their participation in one of their listed internships or, if necessary, another subsequently approved. If grant recipients do not confirm their internship, alternative candidates will be contacted.
Grant recipients are required to submit short reports on their internship experiences no later than October 4, 2019.
Acceptable internships must meet the following criteria:
- Internships must be public service oriented
- Internships must be related to politics or policy
- Internships must take place during the summer
- Internships must last at least 6 weeks.
Grants will not be awarded for internships of the following nature:
- Washington Center internships
- Political campaign internships
- Highly paid internships
- Internships with large think tanks or corporations
If you have questions about the eligibility of an internship, please contact Prof Karen Beckwith. For help finding internships, we suggest looking at the department’s internship page and using the range of resources available at CWRU’s Career Center.